Collapsable containers

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I've just downloaded the Tiny skin package on DNN 7.2.0. Would like to have modules collapse based on the "Collapse/Expand" setting in the module. Realize this also will likely require a "Title" as well. I looked at the "Dark Knight Mobile - ToggledContentContainer" and like the functionality, but the menu bars and other functions don't work very well.

I'm VERY new to skinning (about 2 hours!) and have only used the "out of the box" capabilities of DNN, skins, etc before. Thought I would dip my toe in over the holidays when I have some free time to explore.

If you are taking some time off, I totally understand.

Appreciate your guidance.
Dec 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Sure, always happy to help.

This page should help with the necessary code to enable "collapsible" DNN containers:

You can also check out my Elemento Demo Site which has a few examples of collapsible containers.

Some sample code:
<%@ Control Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Explicit="True" Inherits="DotNetNuke.UI.Containers.Container" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="TITLE" Src="~/Admin/Containers/Title.ascx" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="VISIBILITY" Src="~/Admin/Containers/Visibility.ascx" %>

<div class="BoxBlueFlat1 StdContainer clearfix">
    <div class="content">
        <div class="visibility">
            <dnn:Visibility runat="server" id="dnnVisibility" />
        <% If Not ModuleConfiguration.ModuleTitle = "" Then%>
            <dnn:TITLE runat="server" id="dnnTITLE" CssClass="ElementoTitle" />
        <% Else%>
        <div class="no-title-padding"></div>
        <% End If%>
        <div id="ContentPane" runat="server" />
Good luck and let me know if you need any additional help.

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM
This is a big help and makes me curious. Apologies, but I'm struggling a little with some of the DNN concepts. It's been about 10 years since I did much development. Now I'm helping to support a non-profit web-site (, so have to get back into the game.

In the module settings there are options for visibility, print, and syndicate. Do you have any thoughts or insights on why these controls don't work on ALL containers? From the functionality that's working, it looks like they can be toggled on/off pretty easily and they would be helpful parts of the standard.

BTW - the original expand/collapse functionality I found (in Dark Knight Mobile) was based on the "Toggle" function instead of "Visibility". I've since got Visibility working thanks a LOT to you (plus some hacking & bludgeoning).

Currently installing VS 2013 so will try to use that for a while before asking more questions.

Appreciate the help.